The operator of a northeast Ohio nuclear power plant says a refrigerant leaked from equipment in a building on the site, prompting air monitoring for the chemical.
Los Alamos National Laboratory, which is under a tight deadline to get nuclear waste of its northern New Mexico campus before wildfire season peaks, has begun trucking the remainder of the waste to Texas.
Crews made their first trip into the federal government's underground nuclear waste dump in southeastern New Mexico on Wednesday to begin investigating a radiation release in February that contaminated 21 workers, the U.S. Department of Energy said.
For the first time since Japan's nuclear disaster three years ago, authorities are allowing residents to return to live in their homes within a tiny part of a 20-kilometer (12-mile) evacuation zone around the Fukushima plant.
Frustrated by federal government delays, the state of Washington issued its own plan for cleaning up the nation's most contaminated nuclear weapons site.
The Department of Energy says tests show four more workers were contaminated with low levels of radiation during a leak at federal government's underground nuclear waste dump.
A Southern California nuclear power plant violated rules by failing to get approval before eliminating 39 emergency-response jobs after the plant closed last year, government regulators said Friday.
The recent truck fire and radiation release from the government's troubled nuclear waste dump in southeastern New Mexico were "near misses" at a facility whose workers proved unprepared to respond to the emergencies, the head of an independent oversight agency said.
With the government's only permanent nuclear waste dump shuttered indefinitely by back-to-back accidents, officials are making plans to ship radioactive waste from Los Alamos National Laboratory to rural West Texas.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has scheduled a meeting in Virginia to field questions on the agency's assessment of the safety performance last year at the North Anna nuclear power plant.
William Magwood, a member of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission whose criticism helped lead to the ousting of the agency's former chairman, said Wednesday he soon will be leaving the five-member commission.
New air sampling data from southeastern New Mexico's troubled nuclear waste dump indicates there has been another small radiation release.
South Carolina filed a lawsuit intended to keep the federal government from defunding a multi-billion dollar project to turn weapons-grade plutonium into commercial nuclear reactor fuel, saying its closure would hurt an international nonproliferation agreement and eliminate hundreds of jobs.
Police have surrounded a nuclear plant in eastern France after more than 60 Greenpeace activists occupied it Tuesday to protest the nation's reliance on atomic power.
Farok Sharif has been replaced by Bob McQuinn as president and project manager of the Nuclear Waste Partnership, said URS Corp., the contractor that runs the underground dump for the U.S. Department of Energy.
California regulators Thursday approved a plan for two utilities to develop replacement power to help fill the void left by the closure of the San Onofre nuclear power plant, but environmentalists warned it could open the way for more dirty energy.
The truck that caught fire a half mile underground at a southeastern New Mexico nuclear waste dump was 29 years old, improperly maintained and operating without an automatic fire-suppression system, according to a report to be released today.
Gregory Jaczko, who stepped down as chairman of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission in 2012, still believes he was right when he issued a 50-mile evacuation warning for Americans around Fukushima, and believes the events at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi plant show that nuclear power should be phased out in Japan and worldwide.
The Department of Energy has approved a plan to keep all employees at southeastern New Mexico's underground nuclear waste dump working while officials determine what caused a radiation release.
The U.S. Department of Energy and the operators of the nation's only underground nuclear waste dump said Monday they are making plans to allow specially trained workers to enter the site for the first time in weeks.
Investigators sent instruments used to measure air quality and radioactivity underground Friday and Saturday in the first step toward resuming operations at the Waste Isolation Pilot plant, which has been shut down since early February when a truck caught fire in a separate incident.
Plant chief Akira Ono said Monday that improving water management is crucial not only to the plant cleanup but also decontamination of the area so evacuees can return to their homes.
The U.S. Department of Energy described the radiation leak as minuscule, posing no public health threat, but residents and officials voiced frustration at a town hall, saying the DOE and managers at the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant are leaving them in the dark about what's happening at the repository.
Thirteen employees who were exposed to radiation during a leak at the nation's only underground nuclear waste dump aren't likely to experience any health effects, federal officials said Wednesday.
A union representing some 200 workers at the nation's only underground nuclear waste dump said Tuesday it wants to be sure employees are safe when the repository reopens after a radiation leak that exposed at least 13 people.