Explosion-Proof Inert Gas System
Intertec’s new InertSyst inert gas pressurization system allows protective cabinets or enclosures to house laboratory-style equipment that is non-explosion protected, such as analyzers and sensors, in IEC-Ex and ATEX Zone 1, 21, 2 or 22 hazardous areas. According to the company, the system:
- Extends the types of equipment that plant instrumentation engineers can install in protective enclosures, providing an unmatched choice of enclosure styles and opening formats, as well as climate protection accessories.
- Is certified for use where a hazardous atmosphere might be created inside the enclosure, as well as more conventional situations where a potential hazard is caused by the atmosphere outside the enclosure.
- Works by maintaining a small overpressure inside the enclosure, in the order of 0.8 mbar, of an inert gas such as nitrogen or carbon dioxide.
- Is suitable for use with most field-protection enclosures and cabinets — up to sizes providing some 6,000 liters (212 ft3) of capacity.
- Features a nitrogen purging and pressurization process that depends upon the particular application and its environment.