Stepper Motor Drive Module with RS-485
Thu, 09/15/2011 - 5:16am
The IDEA stepper motor drive platform now has the capability of communication using an RS-485 data protocol. Key features include:
- The RS-485 protocol overcomes the limitations of other drive communication methods, making the RS-485 IDEA drive module perfect for industrial applications.
- The protocol is characterized by its ability for long data transmissions and excellent immunity to electrical noise.
- The protocol utilizes “differential” signal lines for limiting common mode noise coupling and twisted pair cabling for cancelling out induced noise current, which allows IDEA devices to communicate over a network of 1,000 feet without the need for termination resistors.
- The protocol’s system architecture also allows up to 256 addressable device nodes — an industrial controller can send commands to all the drives at once, or each drive can be controlled separately when assigned a unique identifier (a number between 0 and 255).
- The IDEA platform is an RoHS compliant, small footprint, electronic drive and fully programmable control unit with easy-to-use graphic user interface programming.
- Hardware features of the IDEA Drive platform include programmable current control, a single supply voltage of 12 to 48 VDC, 2.6Arms (3.68Apeak) max rated current per phase, and 8 opto-isolated general purpose I/O.
- Drive inputs are rated for 5 to 24 VDC, 4mA max per input and outputs are open collector, 5 to 24 VDC, 200mA maximum per output.