Metallized Carbon Corp. announces that its Metcar Grade M-58, an electro graphite base material that contains a special additive to reduce friction and improve the dry running wear rate, has received approval from the FDA so that it can be used in food-contact applications. According to the company:
- The bearings can now be used in dry running, food mixer seals to provide lower seal friction and longer seal wear life.
- For pharmaceutical applications, there are several grades that have passed the tests required for U.S. Pharmacopeia Class VI approved materials.
- Dry running mechanical seals are used on large, vertical mixers to seal the clearance between the agitator shaft and the mixer housing at the location where the shaft enters the top of the mixer.
- Primary seal ring wear life has been a problem with these mechanical seals because they must run dry with high shaft run-out.
- Available fully machined to the customer’s drawing specifications, the primary seal rings can be used in temperatures between -30 and 800°F.