POSITAL's heavy-duty absolute rotary encoders feature shock- and vibration-resistant magnetic measuring elements housed in rugged 316L stainless steel housings that make them ideal for use in harsh environments such as offshore facilities, seagoing vessels and construction equipment. The company says that the encoders feature:
- With highly effective seals on the shaft entry and cable connection (IP68 and IP69K level protection), these devices are capable of withstanding salt water, acid, dirt, dust, and even water jets and aggressive cleaning procedures.
- Mounted on sturdy ball-bearings, the shaft can withstand mechanical forces of up to 300 N (67 pounds).
- The magnetic encoders use a highly reliable measurement technology that provides 13-bit resolution (8192 steps per revolution).
- Multi-turn models are available with virtually unlimited range (limited only by memory size).
- The internal rotation counter uses a unique self-powered technology that enables these devices to keep track of their absolute position even when movement occurs during control system power outages.
- Cost-effective encoders are available with a simple serial (SSI) interface or more sophisticated CANopen, DeviceNet and SAE J1939 field bus interfaces.
- Analog interfaces (4-20mA or 0-10V) are also available, making these encoders a highly-reliable alternative to potentiometers.