American Sensor Technologies Inc. has obtained 79/2009/EC approval for its Model AST2000H2 Hydrogen ASIC Pressure Sensor, enabling the sensor’s use in high-pressure hydrogen applications up to 900 Bar (13,000 PSI). According to the company:
- To obtain approvals, the sensors were tested according to Regulation EU 406/2010 to verify compliance with Regulation EC 79/2009 of the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union.
- The pressure sensors are the first in the world that are EC79 approved for use on hydrogen-powered vehicles operating up to a 900 Bar pressure range.
- An innovative threaded, high-pressure sealing design enables the sensors to withstand extreme cold and heat as well as high operating pressure conditions.
- Other unique design features include an all 316L SS wetted sensing element with a thick pressure diaphragm, and one-piece construction free of welds, internal O-rings or oil-filled cavities.
- The sensors are ideal for use in hydrogen applications that present difficult operating challenges, such as hydrogen permeation and embrittlement that often cause many other pressure sensors to fail.
- Electrically, the sensors are available with common automotive and industrial outputs signals such as 0.5-4.5VDC ratiometric (5.0 VDC supply) or 1-5VDC and 4-20mA (10-28VDC supply).
- The signal is stable and linear throughout the operating temperature range of -40 to +85°C, with typical total error band of +/-2.0 percent.