UltraGard™ precut aerogel insulation, fabricated and distributed by PACOR, Inc. and its subsidiary LIT Industries, Inc., provides an easy-to-install method for cutting energy loss and extending pipe rack efficiencies in piping systems used in chemical and hydrocarbon processing operations. Consisting of lightweight silica solids derived from a gel in which the liquid component has been replaced with gas, and reinforced with nonwoven, glass fiber batting, aerogels possess the lowest thermal conductivity of any known solid. According to the company, the insulation is:
- Available for both high temperature and cryogenic environments, in both 5 mm and 10 mm thicknesses, 1 ½”, 2” and 3” widths, with a nominal length of 59 ½”.
- 2 to 8 times more efficient than traditional materials.
- Environmentally safe.
- Ideal for a wide variety of pipe wrapping situations due to its very thin profile.
- Effective in tight access areas.
- Hydrophobic, making it repel liquids.
Aerogel insulation in blanket form can improve labor productivity in wrapping tanks, vessels, towers, and in covering tank roofs. For steam pipe retrofits, installation of single ply aerogel blanket overwrap can drive moisture out of old, wet insulation and recover system performance.