Wireless Network Module
The new WNM Wireless Network Module from Moore Industries is an accurate and reliable solution for sending process signals between remote field sites. According to the company, the module offers:
- A low-cost wireless communications link between field sites that are in rugged or impassable terrain, with a single unit transmitting for up to 30 miles and offering the ability to act as a repeater for a virtually unlimited transmission range.
- A bi-directional design that employs Spread Spectrum Frequency Hopping technology to avoid interference problems caused by crowded radio spectrums.
- Operating at standard operating frequencies of 902-928MHz or 2.4-2.4835GHz, the WNM does not require a regulatory license and can typically be installed without performing costly RF site surveys.
- When set in the Smart Switch Ethernet (SSE) mode, the WNM enhances the speed and reliability of data packet transmission by determining the most efficient path of broadcast on a packet-by-packet basis.
- Ideal suitability for use with the Moore Industries NCS NET Concentrator System®, as well as other SCADA and distributed I/O systems.
- Suitability for data communications networks that use Ethernet and serial (RS-485) communications — in each WNM network, one module is set as a Master; this can be set to communicate with a single WNM remote unit in a Point-to-Point architecture or multiple WNM remote units in a Point-to-Multipoint architecture.
- Suitability for long-distance data transmission; 902-928MHz units can transmit up to 30 miles, while 2.4-2.4835GHz units have a transmission range of up to 15 miles (the range can be extended indefinitely by using multiple WNM units as repeaters to relay signals).
- Easy installation and ease-of-use, as it can be factory-configured to fit user specifications before being shipped.
- Free PC configuration software, which allows end users to perform on-site configuration, parameter changes, and add WNM modules to a network.
- Utilizes 128-bit AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) encryption, 32-bit CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) error detection, and ARQ (Automatic Resend Query) for robust and secure communications.
- The industrial DIN-rail mount metal enclosure also ensures that the WNM can be used in rugged environments, including ambient temperatures from -40° F to 167° F (-40°C to 75°C) and relative humidity of 5 percent to 95 percent.