The new WNM Wireless Network Module from Moore Industries is an accurate and reliable solution for sending process signals between remote field sites. According to the company, the module offers:
- A low-cost wireless communications link between field sites that are in rugged or impassable terrain, with a single unit transmitting for up to 30 miles and offering the ability to act as a repeater for a virtually unlimited transmission range.
- A bi-directional design that employs Spread Spectrum Frequency Hopping technology to avoid interference problems caused by crowded radio spectrums.
- Operating at standard operating frequencies of 902-928MHz or 2.4-2.4835GHz, the WNM does not require a regulatory license and can typically be installed without performing costly RF site surveys.
- When set in the Smart Switch Ethernet (SSE) mode, the WNM enhances the speed and reliability of data packet transmission by determining the most efficient path of broadcast on a packet-by-packet basis.
- Ideal suitability for use with the Moore Industries NCS NET Concentrator System®, as well as other SCADA and distributed I/O systems.
- Suitability for data communications networks that use Ethernet and serial (RS-485) communications — in each WNM network, one module is set as a Master; this can be set to communicate with a single WNM remote unit in a Point-to-Point architecture or multiple WNM remote units in a Point-to-Multipoint architecture.
- Suitability for long-distance data transmission; 902-928MHz units can transmit up to 30 miles, while 2.4-2.4835GHz units have a transmission range of up to 15 miles (the range can be extended indefinitely by using multiple WNM units as repeaters to relay signals).
- Easy installation and ease-of-use, as it can be factory-configured to fit user specifications before being shipped.
- Free PC configuration software, which allows end users to perform on-site configuration, parameter changes, and add WNM modules to a network.
- Utilizes 128-bit AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) encryption, 32-bit CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) error detection, and ARQ (Automatic Resend Query) for robust and secure communications.
- The industrial DIN-rail mount metal enclosure also ensures that the WNM can be used in rugged environments, including ambient temperatures from -40° F to 167° F (-40°C to 75°C) and relative humidity of 5 percent to 95 percent.