Panel-Mounted Controller with a Small Footprint
ABB Robotics has extended the functionality of its IRC5 panel-mounted controller (PMC) to all ABB robots, including its largest robot models. According to the company, the PMC Large:
- Features a new, large-panel-mount drive module.
- Will bring smaller footprint functionality and simplified internal cabling benefits to robot models from the IRB 2400 up to the IRB 7600.
- Will make integrating large robots significantly easier by allowing machine builders and system integrators the flexibility to create custom enclosures to best protect the electronics in harsh environments.
- Is beneficial for numerous installation types, including food applications that require rigorous washdown capabilities, foundry applications where the moist, dusty atmosphere requires a sealed cooling system, and other environments where the controller may be faced with ignition risks, extreme temperatures or excessive vibration.
- Offers the full capability of the standard IRC5 controller, without the full cabinet armor.
- Facilitates flexible mounting while still delivering the proprietary ABB motion control advantages of QuickMove to assure the shortest possible cycle time, and TrueMove for precise path accuracy and repeatability.
- Consists of a large drive module and the standard IRC5 control module that can be separately mounted in a variety of configurations, such as on top of each other, side-by-side or back-to-back.
- Is made up of two layers, the first of which may be folded down for easy access to the second; up to four drive modules may be connected to the same control module for multiple robot control (MultiMove) or control of additional axes.
- Is fully EMC certified, eliminating disturbances to surrounding equipment and allowing for EMC certification of the final enclosed solution.