Westermo has announced the release of its Lynx DSS compact device server switch for connecting legacy serial control and telemetry systems to the latest IP networks. The server switch:
- Is an industrial Ethernet switch for managing applications with a combination of IP and serial connection.
- Helps to preserve any investment in existing systems, add functionality by supporting new equipment that requires additional bandwidth, and ensure trouble-free industrial communications for many years.
- Has a wide operating temperature range from -40° C to 70° C (depending on the model).
- Provides a single-unit solution and replaces the need for multiple units.
- Allows legacy devices to be connected via two serial ports — one is configured for RS-232 and the other for either RS-232 or RS-422/485.
- Is available in two versions, the L208-F2G-S2 and L108-F2G-S2: The L108 supports a range of layer 2 switching functions that provide resilient, rapid-recovering redundant-ring Ethernet networks; and the unit has four 10/100 Mbit/s ports and two further ports can be fitted with either Gbit or 100 Mbit SFP transceivers.
- Is powered by an updated version of the Westermo WeOS operating system and delivers enhanced serial to Ethernet connectivity and support for dual serial networks, modem replacement functionality, and Modbus gateways.
- Offers functions that support users wanting to communicate over potentially insecure networks and also help to prevent users inadvertently connecting to the wrong network.
- Is suitable for deployment in extreme operating conditions, it is type-tested to meet industrial EMC, isolation, vibration and shock standards, and approved for use in relevant industrial applications including Cenelec EN 50121-4 certification for railway trackside installations.
- Features no fan or other moving parts, industrial grade components, and a full metal IP40 enclosure with no cooling holes that would allow the ingress of dust; these features contribute to the extremely high mean time between failures (MTBF) of over 500,000 hours, resulting in long trouble-free service life.