Compact Device Server Switch
Westermo has announced the release of its Lynx DSS compact device server switch for connecting legacy serial control and telemetry systems to the latest IP networks. The server switch:
- Is an industrial Ethernet switch for managing applications with a combination of IP and serial connection.
- Helps to preserve any investment in existing systems, add functionality by supporting new equipment that requires additional bandwidth, and ensure trouble-free industrial communications for many years.
- Has a wide operating temperature range from -40° C to 70° C (depending on the model).
- Provides a single-unit solution and replaces the need for multiple units.
- Allows legacy devices to be connected via two serial ports — one is configured for RS-232 and the other for either RS-232 or RS-422/485.
- Is available in two versions, the L208-F2G-S2 and L108-F2G-S2: The L108 supports a range of layer 2 switching functions that provide resilient, rapid-recovering redundant-ring Ethernet networks; and the unit has four 10/100 Mbit/s ports and two further ports can be fitted with either Gbit or 100 Mbit SFP transceivers.
- Is powered by an updated version of the Westermo WeOS operating system and delivers enhanced serial to Ethernet connectivity and support for dual serial networks, modem replacement functionality, and Modbus gateways.
- Offers functions that support users wanting to communicate over potentially insecure networks and also help to prevent users inadvertently connecting to the wrong network.
- Is suitable for deployment in extreme operating conditions, it is type-tested to meet industrial EMC, isolation, vibration and shock standards, and approved for use in relevant industrial applications including Cenelec EN 50121-4 certification for railway trackside installations.
- Features no fan or other moving parts, industrial grade components, and a full metal IP40 enclosure with no cooling holes that would allow the ingress of dust; these features contribute to the extremely high mean time between failures (MTBF) of over 500,000 hours, resulting in long trouble-free service life.