According to Garlock Sealing Technologies, its new SGi™ shaft grounding bearing isolator is the first seal to protect bearings from electrical damage, as well as lubricant loss and contamination. The Garlock SGi™ combines the technologies of the GUARDIAN™ non-sparking bronze labyrinth seal and the AEGIS™ shaft grounding ring in a single unit. It also offers:
- The diversion of harmful currents safely to ground, bypassing the bearings entirely and extending motor life.
- The patented AEGIS™ FiberLock™ channel, which is permanently built into the isolator, to secure circumferential rows of conductive microfibers, preventing their dislocation and the resulting accidental contamination.
- Specially engineered microfibers for flexibility to prevent breakage and ensure that the isolator lasts as long as the motor.
- An IP56 non-contact isolation seal that withstands dust and powerful jetting liquids, while easily replacing contact lip seals and traditional bearing isolators.
- The ability to withstand operating temperatures from -22° to 300° F.
- Availability for motor-shaft sizes ranging from 0.875 to 6 inches in flanged, flangeless and custom configurations.
- Suitability for motors controlled by variable-frequency drives, running pumps, fans, high-speed spindles, and other equipment in severe-duty applications, such as mining and the processing of pulp/paper, food, pharmaceuticals, chemicals and water/wastewater.