DEARBORN, Mich., February 19, 2013 A panel of leading aerospace and defense manufacturing OEMs will challenge their suppliers to find solutions to issues that are stifling innovation and keeping the industry from reaching its full potential. The Inside the AeroDef Boardroom: Executive Perspectives on the Future of the Industry panel discussion will be held at AeroDef® Manufacturing  and Composites Manufacturing  2013, March 19-21, at the Long Beach (Calif.) Convention Center.
The discussion will focus on ways to improve affordability, producibility and technical innovation in aerospace and defense manufacturing, including:
- How to meet the growing challenges of technology innovation and integration
- What investments Tier 1 and Tier 2 companies should be making now to meet future needs
- What new technologies hold the greatest potential to increase producibility and affordability
- How will manufacturers retool in an era of fiscal austerity
Panelists include members of the AeroDef Manufacturing Executive Committee, who partnered with the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME)  to produce AeroDef.
- Paul Oldroyd, technical fellow, Manufacturing Engineering Process Development Engineering Department, Bell Helicopter Textron
- Allen Andress, vice president, Operations, American Eurocopter
- Ralph Resnick, president and executive director, National Center for Defense Manufacturing & Machining (NCDMM)
- Lance Bryant, director, Production Operations Manufacturing Engineering/Technology and Advanced Programs & Technology (AP&T) Production, Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems (AS)
- Dianne Chong, Ph.D., VP of Assembly, Factory and Support Technologies, Boeing Engineering, Operations & Technology, The Boeing Company
- John Vickers, assistant manager, Materials and Processes Laboratory, Marshall Space Flight Center, NASA
The other two panels are Future Role of Software in Composites Manufacturing and Role of Modeling and Simulation in 21st Century Aerospace and Defense System Development.
All panel discussions are free-of-charge for registered attendees and will be held at The Deck the central area of the exposition floor designed to facilitate interaction among attendees, speakers, presenters and exhibitors and where all key events will take place, such as keynote presentations, panel discussions and networking events.
Note to Media:
Visit the SME Media Center  for the latest Society news, one-stop access to SME Events, Manufacturing Quick links, SME social media sites, SME News Feed and more.
About AeroDef Manufacturing
AeroDef Manufacturing is the leading technical conference and exposition for the aerospace and defense manufacturing industry. Produced by the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), in partnership with leading industry OEMs, its mission is to foster innovation across the extended enterprise to reduce costs, expedite production times and maintain U.S. competitiveness in the global economy.
The Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) is the premier source for manufacturing knowledge, education and networking. Through its many programs, events, magazines, publications and online training division, Tooling U , SME connects manufacturing practitioners to each other, to the latest technologies and to the most up-to-date manufacturing processes. SME has members around the world and is supported by a network of chapters and technical communities. A 501(c)3 organization, SME is a leader in manufacturing workforce development issues, working with industry, academic and government partners to support the current and future skilled workforce.