Scan Before You Replace
Non-destructive moisture tests provide valuable information for roofing professionals
You are feeling a little under the weather and finally make an appointment to go see your family doctor. He does a cursory examination, and decides you need surgery immediately. Wouldn’t you want a more thorough exam? What about a CAT scan, an MRI, an EKG, or some other tests? Wouldn’t you want more information on what is wrong before the surgery? Wouldn’t you want some scientific evidence that you need the surgery? This evidence allows doctors to pinpoint exactly what is wrong and target the problem area. Advanced imaging techniques provide crucial information for medical professionals. Similarly, nondestructive moisture tests provide roofing professionals valuable information concerning the moisture content of roofing insulation.
Consequences Of Wet Insulation
There are several reasons why it is important to identify wet insulation trapped within a commercial roofing system. For example:
- Roof leaks can cause costly interior damage to facilities and create hazardous conditions for building occupants.
- Wet insulation becomes a conductor of energy rather than a resister, resulting in increased energy bills.
- Trapped moisture in insulation is a great place for mold to propagate and may eventually lead to indoor air quality issues.
- Wet insulation often causes roofing fasteners to corrode and reduces the uplift performance of the roof, which can lead to a roof blow off.
- Trapped moisture can speed the deterioration of the building’s structural deck.
- Wet insulation will degrade the roofing system.
- Wet insulation adds unnecessary weight to the building.
[Continue Reading... ]