Amway Plant Evacuated After Chemical Release
ADA, Mich. (AP) — Part of an Amway Corp. plant in southwestern Michigan was evacuated and eight workers were taken to area hospitals following the accidental release of a chemical powder.
It happened early Thursday at the plant in Ada, just southeast of Grand Rapids.
Amway chief of fire protection Mike Larabel says the hospitalized workers were treated and released. He tells The Grand Rapids Press they weren't badly hurt.
Larabel says a dust collector became clogged and was being cleaned around 6:15 a.m. when workers started complaining of respiratory problems.
He says about 40 employees were evacuated.
They have since returned to work at the production line, which makes laundry detergent and dishwashing soap for the direct-sales giant.